The mountains around Jagna are excellent for trekking. The forest, steams, and waterfalls all make for a real adventure.
Roxas Park is located just 15 minutes from Jagna and features two mountain spring feed swimming pools. The park is also set up for picnics overlooking a beautiful valley full of rice fields and a meandering river. Ask at the park to contact Wim Schreurs about out-rigger boat excursions to the nearby volcanic island of Camigan.
1. Birhen sa Barangay Shrine
This religious haven and favorite holy place for pilgrimages is located in Pangdan, just a walking distance from the municipal building. Hundreds of devotees come to venerate the image of the miraculous lady clad in bare and says thus declared by the local diocese as a national shrine. It is also a protected municipal park.
2. Lonoy Martyr Site
This historical site declares the bloody saga between the Filipino revolutionists led by Capt. Gregorio “Goyo” Caseñas and the American invaders in the First World War in 1891. Barangay Lonoy is also known for its clear and cool springs and swimming pool.
3. St. Michael Church
This centuries old church is the center of all religious activities in Jagna especially on September 28-29, the feast days of the parish.
Declared as one of the oldest and the biggest in Bohol, this church was built through forced labor completed in 1808 by Rev. Fr. Bias de las Mercedes, a very pious Augustinian Recollect missionary.
4. Ilihan Shrine
Ilihan Hill has become a religious site for pilgrimages by the faithful. It is located about half kilometer from Jagna town by winding road. It overlooks the Sea of Mindanao and the evening vista is beautiful. On top of the hill is the image of the Barangay Sang Birhin where a chapel has been built in her honor.
Jagna appears in documents as early as March 15, 1565 when Miguel Lopez de Legaspi was driven by unfavorable winds towards this coast and because his flagship “San Pedro” underwent repairs along Jagna bay.
The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) started their work in what was known as San Miguel de Hagna as early as 1596. The Recollect historian Licinio Ruiz wrote that the Jesuit priest P. Jose Sanchez founded the parish and town simultaneously on September 29, 1631 with St. Michael Archangel as its patron saint.
The name Jagna was, according to historical records, derived from legendary vernacular exclamation “ni hagna na”. The tale started from the usual occurrence at the mouth of a small river which is already dried up now but whose actual traces of real existence are still visible beyond doubt. At the mouth of the river was a hole or cave-in of considerable depth and size. Such condition of the river led the early inhabitants to call it as “Boho River”. The river used to abound with so much fish called “tigue” in the local dialect. When the school of that particular fish played on the surface of the water, such part seemed to appear like coconut oil boiling in a frying pan. And whenever the people saw the sizzling surface of the water caused by the movement of the fish, they used to remark “ni hagna na”, meaning the oil being cooked is almost done. Therefore, from this common expression of the villagers evolved the present name of the town “JAGNA”.
The first settlers of Jagna descended from the natives of Loboc and Talibon. These settlers wanted to migrate to Mindanao riding on their sailboats called “bilos”. Because of the inclement weather, they were forced to seek shelter in Jagna. However this brief refuge turned into a permanent stay as they found Jagna attractive and an ideal place for establishing a village.